The Animation Director is responsible for the identification, selection, negotiation and ongoing management of projects to ensure high quality productions delivered within established budgets and schedules while maintaining creative output (either general or on focused on specific artistic departments) to high levels.
The position drives the creative process(es) of production while working closely with the Head of Production and a team of producers, at variously levels, and maintains oversight of all projects handled by subordinate creative staff ensuring the identification and communication of creative output in relation to product goals, project progress, quality, and any risks.
The Animation Director manages project output reporting to executive management. Projects can be internal (IPs) or client-based.
Position ensures strong linkage with the marketing group to position products effectively with consumers and retailers.
Operations & Production:
- Managing content visual strategy on full CG productions at Digital Dimension.
- Overseeing creative output (guide, supervise and review work) and future creative direction (general or specific departments); elevate studio output quality.
- Provide guidance during creative discussions with design, story and art leaderships.
- Identify and manage client expectations; Interpret briefs from Director or Producer, and transmit to creative team.
- Partnering with Production team; understand the implications of performance, style, quality, continuity, technical, scheduling and budgetary requirements.
- Contribute to the hiring process of key creative staff and artists.
- Mentors and develops creative staff and artists.
- Developing and pitching creative concepts to content partners.
- Collaborating with Digital Dimension sales and marketing teams on content activation and marketing.
- Identifying and/or selecting quality development partnerships to produce future projects.
- Managing and developing relationships with content partners, directors, and other creative partners.
- Analyze competitive products and new business opportunities and make recommendations to senior management.
- Act as lead on client accounts.
- Participate in client/project/brand strategy problem solving.
- Proactively seeks incremental business from existing clients.
- Participate in new business presentations and delivery of all proposals to clients.
- Develop new project leads through new and existing relationships.
- Participate in story and character development for current and future IP projects.
- Participate on planning current and future IPs development strategy.
- Share best practice in brand and story development from and past experiences.
- Works directly with the CCO and VP Storytelling, on identifying and hiring writers and show runners for current and future IP projects in development.
- In collaboration with CCO and VP Storytelling, participate on defining target partner(s), pitch strategies.
- Participate in IPs to partner(s) pitch sessions.
Education and/or Experience Required:
- Minimum 10 years of experience in the media and entertainment, animation, film, gaming sector.
- Proven track record producing animation content.
- Experience developing and pitching creative.
- Understands production budgets and schedules.
- Ability to work effectively, gain credibility and respect of others.
- Ability to lead and persuade other, positively influencing the outcome of team efforts.
- Stellar client-facing communication skills required.
- Connected, able to bring new contacts that are complementary.
- Knowledge base of current industry and technology trends preferred.
- Able to manage high volume of information.
- Exceptional writing and communication skills.
- Qualified candidates will be highly motivated self-starters with an energetic and assertive disposition.