Animation Technical Director
The Animation Technical Director (Animation TD) is responsible for the design, implementation, and maintenance of digital tools to improve and streamline the workflow of the Animation department. As a member of the Technology team, you will work with leadership in Animation and neighboring departments to plan and develop scripts and tools for Maya to meet upcoming production needs. You will also work directly with animators to provide technical guidance and support throughout production.
This position is a mixture of development, support, and everything in between. It’s an opportunity to make a meaningful impact on the day-to-day lives of animators across all productions.
• Problem-solving: Think analytically to identify problems and come up with creative and efficient solutions. Find ways to overcome obstacles and deliver the project under the guidance of the Animation Supervisors, CG Supervisors, and Technical Directors.
• Tool development: Create and maintain tools for animators that help them achieve the highest quality of work possible in the shortest amount of time, while adhering to studio-wide technology standards.
• Support: Provide technical guidance to artists. Give face-to-face technical help to all Animation staff. Write scripts and smaller tools to facilitate day-to-day workflow. Communicate well, and approach things with a positive attitude.
• Broad pipeline knowledge: Have a strong understanding of the neighboring upstream and downstream departments in the CG production pipeline – what these departments are responsible for, and the needs and challenges of their tasks.
• Connection: Be the primary technical contact and representative for the Animation department. Work with Animation, Rigging, and Pipeline to create solutions that work for Animation while still fitting into the studio’s overall technology goals.
• Education: Be the central source of technical knowledge for the Animation department. Provide regular technical tutoring and mentorship to the animators. Keep documentation up to date and relevant.
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Film, Animation or equivalent experience.
• Minimum 5 years of experience as an Animation TD, Animator, Rigger or equivalent roles.
• Character animation experience on live action/animated feature film or television production.
• Self-driven, great team player, able to prioritize production needs and tasks.
• Excellent troubleshooting, problem-solving, organizational, and communication skills.
• Excellent knowledge of Maya.
• Familiarity with rigging in CG/VFX productions.
• Working knowledge of CG production workflow and methodologies.
• Working knowledge of Unix and Windows platforms. OSX is a plus.
• Programming and coding skills: thorough knowledge of Python and scripting for Maya. Familiarity with MEL and the Maya API (C++ or Python) is a plus.
If you are interested in the position, please apply directly here: https://careers.reelfx.com/apply/720?language=en
This job description is not meant to be all inclusive. Employee may be required to perform other duties to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Please note that Canadian citizens and Canadian permanent residents will be considered in priority.
Only the selected candidates will be contacted. Candidates may be asked to provide references