Working for Method is to participate in creating entertainment experiences that the world has never seen or even imagined. Join an award-winning international content company that works with leading creators in film, TV/streaming, advertising, marketing and interactive experiences home to exceptional artists and technologists.
Method’s unique approach, which combines traditional filmmaking techniques with the most popular digital technologies, has helped build the company’s reputation by delivering smart, forward-thinking solutions and most importantly a job well done for two decades. Come be part of teams focused on creativity, innovation and with an eye for detail to create worlds, characters and experiences with us.
Method Montreal is currently looking for a Groom Artist to join our amazing team. As a Senior Groom Artist, you will be responsible for creating realistic natural looking long hair, fur, or feathers for Digi Doubles, Animals, Creatures, and occasionally foliage or anything with an instance nature in a quick and efficient manner. Grooms need to look realistic and also well set up for motion.
Throughout production, you will be responsible for collaborating closely with the LookDev, Lighting, Modeling, and the Rigging teams to make sure the asset looks amazing throughout the pipeline through final lighting and in motion.
In this role, you will:
- Create hair/fur/feather grooms for characters and creatures using primarily XGen. Knowledge of Nuke, Katana, and Mari is a plus.
- Simulate hair and fur within the shot-pipeline;
- Act as an example to and mentor junior artists and will deliver all tasks within the required timeframe;
- Assure a close liaison with Creature FX simulation artists over the requirements for dynamics, and the layout of guide hairs;
- Assure a liaison with other departments involved in the creature workflow – Modeling, Rigging, Animation, and Lighting;
- Produce render tests of the groom as it progresses;
- Meet set schedules and deadlines while maintaining the highest standards;
- Regularly communicate with Production and Leads regarding schedules and deadlines.
This job is for you if:
- 5+ years of experience in a similar role;
- Previous experience on CG creature projects;
- A thorough understanding and deep knowledge of XGen, Maya;
- Good problem-solving skills;
- An appreciation of both the aesthetic and technical requirements of the role;
- A strong work ethic, and a willingness to be involved in both development and shot execution;
- Experience of working under a Unix/Linux systems environment;
- Experience with dynamic hair simulation, or other forms of dynamics;
- Has the drive to collaborate and work as part of a team in a challenging and deadline orientated environment;
- A good understanding of pipeline and workflow issues;
- Excellent organization, communication, and interpersonal skills, and the ability to liaise across departments.
Why should you join Method Studios?
- Being part of a world-class, award-winning team that creates amazing Visual Effects for the biggest Hollywood blockbusters.
- Flexible working hours and remote work available
- Comprehensive Group Benefits (health, dental, life insurance etc.) from day one!
- An incredible company culture. We value new ideas; our virtual doors are always open.
- Opportunity for career progression in advancement. We want to see our employees grow!
Interested? What are you waiting for? Apply now; we can’t wait to get to know you!
Creativity has diversity at its heart. We celebrate the value of every unique experience by dedicating ourselves to promoting the most diverse and fair and inclusive culture where employees feel empowered and safe to present themselves at work as such.
Our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees. Therefore, please inform the company’s HR representative if you need assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.