Senior Groom Artist
Home to exceptional artists and technologists, Method Studios, a Deluxe company, is an award-winning global content company working with top creators on movies, TV/streaming, advertising, marketing and interactive experiences. Its network of integrated facilities provides a full range of services including concepts, design, pre-vis, look development, on-set supervision, 3D animation/CGI, motion graphics, compositing, and finishing; and through Method EXP, AR/VR/MR experiences and technology.
Method’s unique approach combining traditional filmmaking techniques with the most sophisticated digital technologies has helped build the company’s reputation for offering smart, cutting-edge solutions and above all, well-crafted work, for two decades.
Method Montreal is currently looking for a Groom Artist to join our amazing team. As a Senior Groom Artist, you will be responsible for creating realistic natural looking long hair, fur, or feathers for Digi Doubles, Animals, Creatures, and occasionally foliage or anything with an instance nature in a quick and efficient manner. Grooms need to look realistic and also well set up for motion.
Throughout production, you will be responsible for collaborating closely with the LookDev, Lighting, Modeling, and the Rigging teams to make sure the asset looks amazing throughout the pipeline through final lighting and in motion.
In this role, you will:
- Create hair/fur/feather grooms for characters and creatures using primarily XGen. Knowledge of Nuke, Katana, and Mari is a plus.
- Simulate hair and fur within the shot-pipeline;
- Act as an example to and mentor junior artists and will deliver all tasks within the required timeframe;
- Assure a close liaison with Creature FX simulation artists over the requirements for dynamics, and the layout of guide hairs;
- Assure a liaison with other departments involved in the creature workflow – Modeling, Rigging, Animation, and Lighting;
- Produce render tests of the groom as it progresses;
- Meet set schedules and deadlines while maintaining the highest standards;
- Regularly communicate with Production and Leads regarding schedules and deadlines.
Requirements and Competencies:
- 5+ years of experience in a similar role;
- Previous experience on CG creature projects;
- A thorough understanding and deep knowledge of XGen, Maya;
- Good problem-solving skills;
- An appreciation of both the aesthetic and technical requirements of the role;
- A strong work ethic, and a willingness to be involved in both development and shot execution;
- Experience of working under a Unix/Linux systems environment;
- Experience with dynamic hair simulation, or other forms of dynamics;
- Has the drive to collaborate and work as part of a team in a challenging and deadline orientated environment;
- A good understanding of pipeline and workflow issues;
- Excellent organization, communication, and interpersonal skills, and the ability to liaise across departments.
Interested? What are you waiting for? Apply now, we can’t wait to get to know you