Home to exceptional artists and technologists, Method Studios, a Deluxe company, is an award-winning global content company working with top creators on movies, TV/streaming, advertising, marketing and interactive experiences. Its network of integrated facilities provides a full range of services, including concepts, design, pre-vis, look development, on-set supervision, 3D animation/CGI, motion graphics, compositing, and finishing; and through Method EXP, AR/VR/MR experiences and technology.
Method’s unique approach combining traditional filmmaking techniques with the most sophisticated digital technologies has helped build the company’s reputation for offering smart, cutting-edge solutions and, above all, well-crafted work, for two decades.
Method Montreal is looking for a Layout Artist to join our amazing team. Reporting to the Head of Layout, the Layout Artist is responsible for recreating camera movements for integration of 3D elements in sequences for a live-action feature film (and/or TV), partnering with the animation and modelling departments to deliver accurate camera animation.
In this role, you will:
- Recreates the sets, objects and camera motion of shots in a 3D software environment to match the live-action background plate images;
- Create proxy props and other models based on supplied set data and/or other available survey information;
- Include proof of scale in a virtual layout set up;
- Edit, merge and extend camera motions when needed;
- Manage cameras on a sequence/environment level to ensure consistency between all shots;
- Matchmove objects/characters to match the action in the live-action plates;
- Render track/matchmove oversupplied plates for approval;
- Undistort/distort plates;
- Debug technical problems and escalate issues as needed;
- Create scenes and shots by place characters, props and environments according to the storyboard;
- Put the characters in key poses to define their actions and movements;
- Adapt shot staging according to the composition;
- Check the conformity and continuity of the sequences;
- Maintain timing and production quotas given by the Production Coordinator;
- Execute the corrections requested by the Supervisor by showing an analytic mind;
- Organize work and prepare presentation elements for approval;
Requirements and Competencies:
- College diploma in 3D graphic arts;
- A minimum of two years of Layout experience in a Visual Effects production environment;
- Experience with 3D Equalizer;
- Other tracking packages an asset;
- Have a good eye for image composition;
- Excellent knowledge of Maya and Nuke;
- Demonstrated experience with “realism” modelling, lighting, texture, effect, composting and animation;
- Knowledge of shotgun is a plus.
- Demonstrated Team Player with a great attitude;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced production environment;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Exercise close attention to detail;
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision;
- Strong troubleshooting/problem-solving ability;
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple demands, flexibility and professionalism in a creative environment.
Interested? What are you waiting for? Apply now; we can’t wait to get to know you!
Creativity has diversity at its heart. We celebrate the value of every unique experience by dedicating ourselves to promoting the most diverse and fair, and inclusive culture where employees feel empowered and safe to present themselves at work as such.
It is our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees. Therefore, please inform the company’s HR representative if you need assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.