Reporting to the CG Department Supervisor, the Layout Artist is responsible for recreating camera movements for integration of 3D elements in sequences for live action feature film (and/or TV) partnering with the animation and modeling departments to deliver accurate camera animation.
Responsibilities (but not limited to):
- Recreates the sets, objects and camera motion of shots in 3D software environment to match the live-action background plate images;
- Create proxy props and other models based on supplied set data and/or other available survey information;
- Include proof of scale in virtual layout set up;
- Edit, merge and extend camera motions when needed;
- Manage cameras on a sequence/environment level to ensure consistency between all shots;
- Matchmove objects/characters to match the action in the live action plates;
- Render track/ match move over supplied plates for approval;
- Undistort/distort plates;
- Debug technical problems and escalate issues as needed;
- Create scenes and shots by place characters, props and environments according to the storyboard;
- Put the characters in key poses to define their actions and movements;
- Adapt shot staging according to the composition;
- Check the conformity and continuity of the sequences;
- Maintain timing and production quotas given by the Production Coordinator;
- Execute the corrections requested by the Supervisor by showing an analytic mind;
- Organize work and prepare presentation elements for approval;
- Duties and tasks as assigned.
- College diploma in 3D graphic arts;
- A minimum of two years of Layout experience in a Visual Effects production environment;
- Experience with 3D Equalizer;
- Other tracking packages an asset;
- Have a good eye for image composition;
- Excellent knowledge of Maya and Nuke;
- Demonstrated experience with “realism” modeling, lighting, texture, effect, composting and animation;
- Knowledge of shotgun is a plus.
- Demonstrated Team Player with a great attitude;
- Ability to work in a fast paced production environment;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Exercise close attention to detail;
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision; strong trouble shooting/problem solving ability;
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple demands, flexibility and professionalism in a creative environment.