Lead Visual Effects Artist – Unreal Engine
Start date: March 2021
The Lead Visual Effects Artist will join the team for the production of the Netflix animated series that awakens the Dead: Army of the Dead, Lost Vegas; directed by Zack Snyder (Justice League, 300, Dawn of the Dead) and Jay Olivia (Batman: The Dark Knight Returns).
Armed with an impressive cast, the animated series traces the story of Scott (Dave Bautista) and his team of mercenaries during the initial fall of Vegas as they face the mysterious source of a zombie outbreak. Action, hemoglobin and suspense are part of their daily life.
Ready for the zombie apocalypse?
The Visual Effects Team Lead is responsible for the management and the development of his team. In close collaboration with the Art Director and CG Supervisor, he establishes and maintains the artistic style and visual standards according to the artistic line of the project, using the Unreal Engine tools:
- Oversees the development of high-quality visual effects, and supports his team throughout the production;
- Ensures communication between production, the different departments and his team;
- Collaborates with engineers to develop special effects pipelines;
- Works with the Art Director, CG Supervisor, Lighting Supervisor and the animation team to create cinematic moment that support the storytelling;
- Creates and animates real-time visual effects and provides aesthetic and a technical guidance to FX Artists;
- Creates and animates simulated real-time visual effects (Explosions, fire, smoke, anatomical and organic destruction of zombies!)
- Prioritizes, plans and assigns the various tasks to complete to the artists who are part of his team, taking into account the strengths and weaknesses of each team members;
- Offers creative and technical feedback and supervises the work of artists;
- Makes corrections, when necessary, according to comments and demands from the CG supervisor;
- Identifies the risks in the planning and ensures accordance with the production calendar;
- Works with both artistic and programming teams to foresee and resolves technical challenges to respect the visual requirements and considers several constraints ;
- Explores new techniques and tools that improve the quality and efficiency of the team;
- Creates and maintains technical documentation on the special effects production process;
- Assists and actively participates in meetings with the Artistic Direction and the production on the project;
- Inspires and encourages good collaboration and good team dynamics.
Experience and qualifications :
- Diploma in 3D animation;
- A minimum of 5 years experience as an FX Artist with a demonstrated experience in a Team Lead position;
- Very good aptitude to create visual effects using Unreal Game Engine;
- In-depth knowledge and experience with visual effects production pipelines and with content creation software (Houdini, Maya, After Effects, Nuke, etc.);
- Strong creative and technical background in visual effects and attention to detail;
- Experience in producing special effects based on physics, impact interactions, destruction, fire, explosions, water simulation, etc.;
- Experience in creating materials, lighting and shaders for visual effects;
- Excellent leadership skills;
- Good communication, proactivity and artistic sense;
- Strong organization and production skills;
- Excellent team player showing great solidarity with his collaborators.
- Experience in creating AAA games cinematics;
- Knowledge of “blueprint” programming in Unreal;
- Experience and fluency with one or more scripting or programming languages (Python, C ++ and MEL).
About Digital Dimension:
Digital Dimension is a visionary 3D animation studio based in Montreal. We design, develop and produce our own intellectual properties and that of others for different platforms.
We are a team of passionate artists, full time geeks carried by a healthy and stimulating environment! We carefully select our projects to put our know-how at the service of what drives us.
We are committed to maintaining a good work-life balance, encouraging curiosity, and promote communication so that work becomes a real cooperative playground.