Matte Painting Artist
Working with the Matte Painting Supervisor, Lead Matte Painting, Production Designer & Art Director to create matte paintings (e.g., 2D/2.5D/3D background mattes and projections) for a 3D stereoscopic animated feature film.
• Create the 2D/2.5D/3D painted (handpainted, 3D or photobash) backgrounds and necessary 3D geometry required to complete any 3D environments, sets, sets extensions or scenes on the film, while working with the design, layout, modeling, environment, surfacing, and lighting & compositing departments
• Create full hand painted and photobashed skies, environments, set extensions, props
• Create simple and complex setups in 2D, 2.5D and 3D software
• 3D modeling, unwrapping UVs, surfacing, lighting, rendering, compositing
• To troubleshoot and use talents to create visually stunning backgrounds which match and marry the film’s style and 3D requirements, using direction giving by the Matte Painting Supervisor, Art Director and Production Designer.
• Create documentation about new processes, and new methodologies
• Autonomously learn new processes, software, and new ways to work
• Easily and effectively communicate ideas, process and roadblocks to other team members
• Degree/diploma in fine arts or animation or equivalent experience
• Minimum 2 years of experience in Feature Film, Commercial and/or Video Game production
• Traditional Drawing / Painting skills is mandatory
• Solid understanding of character animation, and lip-synching
• Strong ability to paint light and mood while matching style keys
• Strong skills in painting, drawing, values, design, composition, color temperatures
• Strong ability to learn autonomously
• Strong curiosity/interest in art
• Strong communication skills (English or French)
• Ability to create matte paintings stylistically or realistically using 2D, 2.5D and 3D applications
• Extensive skills in Photoshop, Maya, Blender, Houdini, Unreal, ZBrush, 3Dcoat, Mari, Nuke, Terragen, SketchbookPro, Procreate, and rendering software (Arnold,Redshift,Cycles,Vray etc.)
• Familiar with Stereoscopic digital process
• Python experience (a plus)
• Nuke gizmos creation (a plus)
• Modeling/surfacing experience (a plus)
If you are interested in the position, please apply here: https://jobs.reelfx.com/en/positions/matte-painting-artist-618
This job description is not meant to be all inclusive. Employee may be required to perform other duties to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Please note that Canadian citizens and Canadian permanent residents will be considered in priority.